Home » Ask The Drum Guy » Ask the Drum Guy: What’s this thing called?

Ask the Drum Guy: What’s this thing called?

Hey Batador!

I recently bought a 70’s Acrolite that was in pretty good shape. Needed new heads and wires and such, but overall not bad. I decided to use your drum restoration advice to clean the hardware, but I noticed I’m missing one of the metal lug spacers that is on the inside of the shell. Googleing “metal lug spacer” and it’s appropriate variants didn’t yield much. What are those things called? Also, the shell has some scuffs on it. Is there a good way of getting those off or are those just it’s battle scars? ┬áLove the site!

Matt H.

Hello, Matt-
The thing you are looking for is called a “cup washer”!


They allow you to mount longer screws to the inside of metal shells. You can get them from Drums on Sale here.

There’s also a complete set for a Supraphonic on eBay here!

As for scuffs, are they black or are they down to the metal?

Hope this helps!

3 Responses to Ask the Drum Guy: What’s this thing called?

  1. Matt H. Reply

    January 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm

    YES! Thanks!

    The scuffs are black.

  2. patrick Reply

    January 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm

    Black scuffs = Formula 409 and a green scotchbrite pad! Apply LIGHT PRESSURE at first!

  3. Kevin Reply

    October 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm

    Acrolite shells are The Bomb! Picked up a couple on eBay awhile back, added tube lugs, P-86/33 strainer + butt, decent heads, Puresound Concert (harder steel than Customs, really make a snare snappy) and die-cast rims for a smokin’ backup. The grayish powder coat finish was pretty bunged up on both, so I took them to an auto body shop and had them sandblasted clean, then burnished with steel wool for a nice brushed aluminum finish. No overcoat; the natural oxidizing looks great against the chrome of the hardware. One thing great for old chrome, BTW is NEVR-DULL wadding sold anywhere like hardware or auto parts stores. It’s a cotton wadding saturated with some manner of Magic-Juju solution that restores chrome on old hardware like nothing I’ve ever seen! Give the old piece a good rubbing with a piece of Nevr-Dull, then wipe with a clean paper towel or shop cloth. After installation, dry polish with an old T-shirt and the piece will look good as new.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *